Game notes: Lost Mine of Phandelver
These notes are intended to help players re-cap whats happened in our game so far. Anything missing please let me know.
- The party was formed over a quest set out by Gundren Rockseeker, to deliver a wagon to Phandalin from Neverwinter.
- Two members of the party joined because they happened to be travelling to Phandalin and where aware that the journey would be safer in numbers.
- Tharis travelled with the party as he was looking to make his fortune in Phandalin through “un-ethical” means.
- Anamelech, a Bard was looking to travel to Phandalin in order to play at the local inn.
- Once on the road the party stumbled apon 2 dead horses lying in the road, under further inspection it turned out that they belonged to Gundren Rockseeker and his companion Sildar Hallwinter.
- The horses where left in the road in order to aid in an ambush.
- Goblins ambushed the party. After the fight was over one of the goblins was interrogated and revealed that Gundren Rockseeker and Sildar Hallwinter where taken to a near by goblin cave known as Cragmaw Hideout.
- The party worked there way through the goblin tunnel by killing and sneaking their way through. A few minor incidents happened however the party managed to kill Klarg.
- Sildar Hallwinter was recovered in the cave however they where unable to find Gundren Rockseeker and so made their way out of the cave and back on the trail to Phandalin.
- Sildar belives that Gundren Rockseeker was taken to Cragmaw Castle, however he has no idea where it is located.
- The party arrives at Phandalin.
- On arrival Sildar Hallwinter announces that he will be heading to the town hall, he advices you to join him when you are ready to start looking for Gundren Rockseeker. However he also mentions that it might be worth checking out the local inn known as Stonehill Inn.
- The party heads to the Stonehill Inn and soon start chatting to the locals about the current status of the town. They soon find out that the town has an issue with a gang known as the Redbrand Ruffians.
- The party also learns about the following from their interaction with people in the Inn:
- Narth, an old farmer: “Sister Garaele, who oversees the Shrine of Luck, recently left town for a few days, then returned wounded and exhausted.”
- Elsa, a gossipy barmaid: “Daran Edermath, the orchard keeper, is a former adventurer.”
- Lanar, a miner: “Ore raiders have been seen on the east end of Triboar Trail. The town master is looking for someone to run them off.”
Trilena, the innkeeper’s wife: “Thcl Dendrar, a local woodcarver, stood up to the Redbrands a ten day ago when they came by his shop and leered at his wife. The ruffians murdered him. Several townsfolk saw it happen. The Redbrands grabbed his body, and now his wife, daughter, and son have gone missing too.”
- Pip, Toblen’s young son: “Qelline Alderleaf’s son Carp said he found a secret tunnel in the woods, but Redbrands almost caught him.”
- Freda, a weaver: “The Redbrands hassle every business in town, except for the Phandalin Miner’s Exchange. They don’t want trouble with Halia Thornton, who runs it.”
- Anamelech also manages to convince the Inn keeper to let him play a gig later that evening.
- After the inn the party go to see Barthen’s provision to hand in the quest “Meet Me in Phandalin” , the party tries to negotiate for more money given the issues they encountered on the road however they fail.
- Tharis sells a jade frog to the vendor when the party has left.
- The party then head over to the Townmaster’s Hall to catch up with Sildar Hallwinter. The townmaster is known as Harbin Wester and offers them a quest, Ore Trouble.
- Harbin is looking for someone to head east on the Triboar Trail, where travelers have reported trouble with a band of orcs near Wyvern Tor. He offers 100 gp to any group that can take care of the problem.
- After speaking to the town master the party talks to Sildar Hallwinter. Sildar wants you to help find the Rockseeker brothers in order to help get Wave Echo Cave back in to production, he belives this is do-able by finding Gundren Rockseeker who is being held at Cragmaw Castle, this begins the quest, Finding Cregmaw Castle.
- After leaving the Townmaster’s Hall the party makes its way to Shrine of Luck as Azra Redhammer wishes to make an ofering to the gods.
- On arrival Longinus notices an elf by the name of Garaele, being a sister of the Harpers his advances fail. She however makes the party aware that she is in need of hep with a Banshee named Agatha. She wishes to ask the Agatha and question about the location of a spell-book. The party agrees and starts the quest – The Banshee’s Bargain.
- The party successfully finished the quest and finds out the location of the spellbook for the Harpers.
- The spell-book is currently in the possession of a necromancer named Tsernoth from the city of Iriaebor.
- The party make their way over to the Miner’s Exchange after Azra Redhammer wishes to stock up on supplies. Once their the party encounter a new character by the name of Halia Thornton.
- Halia expresses her hate of the Redbrand and asks if the players would look into taking care of the leader known as Glassstaff, sensing something strange about this character the players try to role a wisdom check, which results in the players figuring out that she has ulterior motives for wanting the leader of the Redbrand killed. However given the issue the town is having with the gang the players take this as an excuse to look into the matter further.
- Halia points the party to the Sleeping Giant tap house.
- When the party arrives at the Sleeping Giant they have an encounter with some of the Redbrand Ruffians who express their dislike of players. They accuse them of looking for trouble and so decide to teach them a lesson.
- A fight breaks out and it soon becomes apparent to the riffuans that they cannot win and so one of them starts to make a run for it only to be shot down by Tharis.
- Another Ruffian is interrogated by Fafnir. After a little bit of persuasion the Ruffian reveals the head quarter of the Redbrand Ruffians – Tresendar Manor.
- The party decide that a direct attack on the manor would be foolish and so they plan to enter through a secret entrance they had over heard about in the cavern. In order to find it they make their way to Alderleaf Farm and speak to Qelline, she mentions that her son carp knows all about it and so the party speaks to Carp who reveals the location of the secret entrance. The party also mentions that they are on the look out for Cragmaw Castle, Quelline mentions an old Druid who nows the area well. This starts the quest, Reidoth the Druid.
- The party plan to enter the secret entrace dressed an Redbrand Ruffians and so under the cover of darkness they make their way into the manor.
- The party enters the Tresendar Manor through the secret entrance, they soon encounter a creature known as a nothic.
- Nothic communicate using telepathy and so has an advantage in finding out that the players are not from the Redbrand Ruffians
- The moster finds it hard to trust the party and so a fight start, the party manages to successfully kill the monster and finds its treasure.
And thats it so far.
(20/07/2016 – Update to notes)
- After working their way through the Hideout the group encounters glass staff
- The group defeats glass staff
- They manage to take him alive and escort him back to Phandelver
- He is question by Sildar Hallwinter, and you learn the following pieces of information:
- The Black Spider is a drow (dark elf).
- The Black Spider sent three bugbears to help larno keep the population of Phandalin under control, but the Redbrands have managed without them. The bugbears know the way to Wave Echo Cave, but larno does not.
- The Black Spider is searching Wave Echo Cave for the Forge of Spells. Dwarves and gnomes of the Phandelver’s Pact used the magical forge to fashion powerful magic items.
- No other members of the Lords’ Alliance know of Iarno’s betrayal.
- The group heads over to the Miners Exchange to hand in the quest: Halia’sJob Offer.
The only quest left for the group to do at the moment is: Reidoth the Druid. Reidoth is a member of the Emerald Enclave, and will likely have knowledge of the surrounding areas. Including Cragmaw Castle, where Gundren Rockseeker is believed to be held with the map to WAVE ECHO CAVE.